Friday, March 20, 2009

The Neverending Weekend of the Unemployed...

Which is funny, as everyday is Sunday to the unemployed. Sounds fun, and kinda is for the first week, but holy shit. After that, I had to make a daily game plan so I didn't/don't go nuts. New job doesn't start until March 31st, so I still have 11 days to kill somehow. I'm appalled at the amount of people that say to me "Oh, it must be SO NICE to have all that free time!!!" Um, sorry kids, NO. Not really. I'm broke. If I had money, I could do some shopping for art stuff, travel, enjoy the time off (hire a cleaning person!!!). I actually have to find ways to keep myself from going nuts without the luxury of doing whatever I want to, whenever I want to. Making the lists with LJ helps a lot.

Yesterday was kind of a flake out. Only did the grocery stuff. Need to return to the habit of doing dishes every night.

This is Hank, my friend who the benefit is for. We have about 5 bands lined up and a few artists to donate work for the silent auction. I'm really excited for this, as I've known Hank for, oh, 25 years. When you are a dumb punk rock kid, wary of the older ones (okay, I was 16 and he was 20 and old enough to go to the bars and the shows and had his own place and shit), it's nice when one of the "cool guys" kind of takes you under his wing and acts as your big brother. He still is. I love this man.

Other good news is that Brad Warner is coming to Minnesota. Honestly, I'm a little intimidated by the location, The Hokyoji Zen Practice Community about a half hour away from the Iowa border. I think I'm nervous as I've only been practicing Zazen all by myself in my room. Not with a bunch of others. Why couldn't it be in a bookstore??? Sorry, Brad, I know you aren't a fan of bookstore signings, but we're talking about MY comfort zone here. At least I won't be alone, as my girlfriend Chrissy said she'd come with me. Is there such thing as Zazen stage fright? Oh my. I KNOW I'll be okay, and people won't point and laugh at me (and with my luck, I'll probably fart during it), but I'm still a little freaked out to be honest.

List for today:
*Talk to owner of Grumpy's regarding using location for benefit
*The damn dishes
*Craft Room (I can't find my meditation blanket! - Think it's buried under an amp or something equally rock and rollish that I'm afraid of touching)
*If I'm still feeling adventureous, I may start trying to sew up the armbands that I think I may need for new job to cover up arm ink during the summer. I'm not making any promises there.

No comments: